There is no doubt that vacancies in schools around Ireland are becoming harder to find these days. Due to a combination of factors such as inflation, rising population numbers, construction delays, and demand outweighing supply, there are fewer school places available than ever before.
Many principals and boards of management would love to take on more students, but a lack of physical space often prevents them from doing so.
Our solution to this problem is simple: modular buildings can provide the ultimate expansion and storage solution for the education sector. Also known as prefab classrooms, modular classrooms can offer schools and other education facilities a green, affordable way to expand teaching space.
In this article, we’ll explore why prefab classrooms are the perfect solution for schools, colleges, and training facilities that need extra space and want to reduce their impact on the environment at the same time.
What is a prefab classroom?
A prefab or modular classroom is constructed in a factory using prefabricated components. These components, or modules, are then transported and assembled on site.
The installation process is much faster than traditional construction methods, causing minimal disruption and allowing the school to carry on as normal throughout the process.
Benefits of prefab classrooms for pupils
Modular classrooms have a bright, modern design that allows lots of natural light to flood in, creating an optimal environment for learning and creativity.
They also have much better ventilation than traditionally constructed buildings, which has been shown to:
- Reduce the spread of diseases
- Improve concentration levels
- Reduce the frequency and severity of asthma attacks
- Reduce levels of absenteeism
Bright, airy spaces are also better for teachers’ health and wellbeing.
Environmental and financial benefits of prefab classrooms
In the last few years, we have seen a much greater focus on sustainability and environmentalism across all areas and sectors in our society, including construction.
Schools and education facilities are the perfect places to inspire and instil positive environmental habits in the younger generations, so they must lead by example and demonstrate their commitment to being more sustainable.
In a nutshell, prefab classrooms are:
- Highly energy-efficient and environmentally friendly
- Constructed from durable, sustainable materials
- Customisable to each client’s unique needs and specifications
- Easily assembled and ready to use in a matter of days
- More cost-effective than traditionally constructed buildings
Now let’s take a more detailed look at some of the benefits of prefab classrooms.
- Prefab classrooms are a more affordable solution for several reasons, including:Modular construction is a streamlined process that can be repeated time and time again, reducing costs through economies of scale
- Significant savings can be achieved by using raw and low-maintenance materials
- Off-site construction results in lower build costs, lower labour costs, and less of a need for plants and machinery
- The installation process will not be affected by adverse weather conditions and is not dependent on multiple tradespeople working together, both of which can often lead to delays
- They are much more energy-efficient than traditional buildings, resulting in annual energy savings of up to 70%
The manufacturing and installation process generates lower carbon emissions than traditional construction methods, helping schools to reduce their carbon footprint.
Due to highly efficient factory production techniques, modular construction also uses approximately 67% less energy, consumes fewer natural resources, and generates less waste during the manufacturing process.
This makes prefab classrooms ideal for schools that want to reduce their impact on the environment.
Quick to assemble
Modular buildings are typically built 50-60% faster than traditional builds. This contributes to a significant reduction in costs while also resulting in minimal disruption for staff and uninterrupted learning for students.
Additionally, a shorter build time can also lead to a quicker return on investment.
Modular construction is highly suited to the needs of the education sector, offering a flexible and cost-effective way for schools to accommodate growing student numbers.
Prefab classrooms can be added to existing buildings when extra space is required, or they can be combined with modular offices and toilet blocks to form a new purpose-built educational facility. They are particularly suitable for awkward spaces or areas where access may be an issue.
Consider How Our Prefab Classrooms Can Expand Your Teaching Space
At EcoMod, we can provide your organisation with bespoke, high-quality, and structurally sound solutions to meet all kinds of education needs, from infants to mature students returning to education.
Our SpaceMaker and EcoSpan ranges can help your school achieve more space for less cost, from both a financial and an environmental perspective. Manufactured to the highest standards right here in Ireland, our modular buildings are fully compliant with current building regulations, giving you extra peace of mind.
Whether you need another classroom, resource room, office, storage space, canteen, or toilet facility, we have the solution for you.
Reach out to our dedicated team and start your eco-friendly modular journey today.